On 10/28/2012 06:36 PM, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

At this point, I believe what happened is that the degausser isn't
working properly and that may have resulted in the tube being more
magnetized rather than less; no matter what I do, I am now getting lock
at about -5e11 -- which is not what it used to be.

I've started troubleshooting the 10368A degausser, and it appears that
the exponential current decay, doesn't. I fear that op-amp U1 (a pre-IC
block labeled Intech A-233) is bad as the voltage driving the darlington
pair is stuck at 14.5 and doesn't decay with time. I hope that the A-233
is just a potted, discrete transistor, generic opamp, so I suspect that
I can dead-bug something like an LM358 in its place.

If anyone else has encountered this situation, I'm all ears...

That would explain it.

If I've only knew, you could have borrowed my degausser when I was in your neighbourhood.