Back in the early 2000's Randy Warner was working at Synergy and posting here. He provided a lot of good and accurate details about the Oncores to the list. You might want to search the archive for his name and scan through the posts. He was a fabulous, accurate source while he was posting here, but left Synergy around 2006-2007.

One document he provided is this:
http://www.febo.com/pages/hardware/VPCommands.pdf

In there he mentions the VP firmware versions and that Synergy could re-flash the firmware for you, but I doubt that option still exists. I think it may have been mentioned that there was no way to update the firmware outside of the factory. That is what I remember.

-Rex