Keenan,
You can see my GPSDO source code for a mere $50. It comes with manual and executables. The executables alone are $20.

See http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MICRO/SIMPLE/SimpleGPS.htm

While this design does not use a Kalmann filter, it has pretty good holdover, and you can see how the phase detector, error integrator, filters, PID controller and D-A converter etc are done. The hardware is pretty simple. There is a PC monitoring and control program.

73,
Murray ZL1BPU