HP has a patent on this scheme. The paralleling of the diodes is for noise reduction. Personally, I would have rejected the patent since this is the kind of thing that is obvious to those skilled in the art.
http://www.google.com/patents/US4621205?pg=PA1&dq=4621205&hl=en&sa=X&ei=J2DRUKDxF-vcigKtoIH4Ag&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=4621205&f=false

If surface states are the source of the noise, then it would take an annealing process to reduce the noise. I never made discrete diodes, so I don't know what kind of foo they use in processing power diodes versus varactors.

Your typical analog IC has countless reversed biased diodes. I can't say I know of anyone who investigated them as a noise source, but in CMOS, low noise is a relative term.

It wouldn't surprise me if the closer you operate to the breakdown limit, the more noise you get. When you look at breakdown in the lab, you are viewing a pretty gross change in characteristics. But it could certainly be the case that as you approach breakdown, shot type noise increases.