Hi

The VCO is part of the process, the PLL and it's loop are another part. There's
no reason why they can't put a good loop in a micro, other than chip area for
the passive parts. What ever they do, the loop will probably be a compromise,
since the frequencies involved are not known at design time. A 4 MHz reference
and a 40 MHz reference will need different loop components running a 100 MHz
VCO ….

Bob