Consulting the hive mind..
If you're building a standalone widget (e.g. something like an NTP server we've been discussing, etc.) with an embedded PC, don't want to fool with hardware designing, etc.; use off the shelf OSes (win and Linux) and software (Matlab, Labview); have solid state boot/storage media.. No user interface needed (access is solely via network)...

What's the hot ticket these days..
One of the CarPC things (most are a miniITX/miniATX with a USB or SD "disk drive"). (This is what I used last time)

Raspberry Pi is a possibility, but I don't know that it has the oomph to run things like Matlab: and I suspect it doesn't run Windows....

I'd like something I can just order and give to the software guys to start coding on (they're using Matlab, Labview, and Python, in various combinations). Eventually, it will be packaged "inside the box" which is about 10x10x3" along with the GPS receiver and other measuremnet stuff (an FPGA with counters and the like). The FPGA will use USB for an interface (I think..)..