You haven't seen it used because it doesn't work very well. It appeared in a few pieces of Heathkit equipment but I don't think HP or Tek used it at all. Any AC component of base to collector voltage has a small but definite effect on Vbe which transfers voltage in the reverse direction from collector to emitter even though the base is held at AC ground. A three terminal regulator does a better job of suppressing ripple from a power supply.

Regulators use a zener diode as the reference and there are circuits in which a zener is used as a noise source. What does that tell you? The quietest power supply is an analog regulator followed by one or more RC filter sections. The inductor in an LC filter is likely to pick up more hum and noise than it filters out. My presumption is that a low noise power supply is likely to be providing a small amount of power to the load and load regulation is probably not a problem.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O DS.

Email: m...@maxsmusicplace.com

Transistor site http://www.funwithtransistors.net
Vacuum tube site: http://www.funwithtubes.net
Woodworking site http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
funwithtransistors-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

funwithtubes-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Leikhim" <jleik...@leikhim.com>