If you need good 3 phase 400 Hz you can get a VFD which goes up that high and program it to just sit there making 400 Hz.

On 3/27/2013 11:16 PM, bownes wrote:

On Mar 27, 2013, at 22:54, Jim Lux <jim...@earthlink.net> wrote:

On 3/27/13 3:20 PM, Bob Camp wrote:

Of course, for the more mechanically inclined.. what about a big flywheel
driving an alternator.  You might be able to rejigger a car alternator.  I
don't recall how many poles they have..
A motor driving a flywheel driving an alternator/generator is called a motor
generator set. Some implementations are called a diesel electric locomotive. We
used to use them as power conditioners for Cray class supercomputers. Also used
by many home machinists to generate 3 phase from single phase power.

Car alternators are generally 3 phase internally. Don't know if you could get
28vac out tho.