I may not have mentioned that I think I figured out the underlying problem with this OCXO lies with the trimpot in the oven control circuit. (I believe that someone mentioned this as a possibility, so I can't take credit for finding it on my own.) Some of the other things I did helped, but adjustment of the trimpot was the final issue. If the pot is misadjusted, the oscillator will wander all over the place as the oven temperature swings wildly.

I drilled a second hole in the Ovenaire case so that I could access the pot. I also monitored the current to the unit with a DVM. When the oscillator started wandering, I tweaked the trimpot until the current increased, indicating the oven was activated. I kept adjusting it to the point that the frequency varies by 0.1 Hz on my GPSDO counter. Perhaps it is less than that, but I don't have enough digits to say. (I know that for final adjustment, I will need to use a scope but the counter does let me see if the OCXO is wildly unstable.)

Now, it is clear that the adjustment is very touchy. I am going to remount the assembly in the Cushman tonight or early tomorrow and see if handling it has made it unstable. If so, next weekend I will tear it down again and figure out the value of the trimpot and the number of turns. If I can find a trimpot with more turns, I will buy it. Otherwise, I will just get an exact replacement.

All of this has caused me to realize that the Ovenaire is probably still quite usable for what it was designed to do. Although I considered installing the MV89 in its place, the Cushman power supply isn't adequate to handle it.

Thanks again to all.

Fred Bray