On 5/25/2013 1:22 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
If you are going to code on a cheap PIC (the PIC16 series) you will likely need
to learn PIC assembler. All my coding on those parts was in assembly language.
They are old enough / slow enough / small RAM enough that things like C (or the
other high level languages you listed) really don't do well on them.

Several years back I did a bunch of stuff with various PIC16 series chips. All of it, except for some minor assembler tweaks, was done in C. Glad I did not know it wasn't practical. I would have wasted a lot of time coding it in assembler. Of course my goal was just getting something done, not being elegant or very efficient. Time-nutty stuff like TVB's frequency divider may require the detail and efficiency only provided by assembler.