Hi

On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:47 AM, Burt I. Weiner <b...@att.net> wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind about modulating with a square wave is that you can
> generate wide spread sidebands, so I'd give some thought to rounding it off a
> bit.  But then the chips were talking about, and some are Schmitt Triggers,
> will change pretty fast and steep.  I suspect in the remodulator it's not
> much of a problem, if at all.

The modulation is at a 1Hz sort of rate, sidebands aren't going to be quite the
issue they might be. If you increase the cost of the device 100X you could
indeed solve the problem.

> With regards to periods of Diurnal shift, it can get pretty wild in amplitude
> variations, and phase can flip all over due to reflections as the big mirror
> in the sky changes.  Diurnal shift starts to get bad about two hours before
> local sunset and again, not so bad before sunrise, and again for a while
> after sunrise.  Supposedly WWVB reception is supposed to be best when it's
> all daylight between the WWVB transmitter and the receiver.  I've always
> found the WWVB signal to be more stable at night.

Since the receiver works best when the daily shift is missing, there's no need
to duplicate it with the remodulator.

> Someone mentioned that the receiver will not track if the remodulator is as
> little as 1 Hz (cycle) of frequency.  My 8170 has a crystal filter in the
> preamp, so I would imagine it would be extremely selective.  I think most, if
> not all, of the WWVB clocks have crystal filters.  The other day when I
> ordered my crystals I had a choice of  60 kHz, 60.002 kHz, 60.005 kHz and
> 60.000 kHz.  The 60.002 and 60.005 were only available in Hugh quantity
> purchases.  The 60.000 kHz was a little more expensive but I bought 10 of the
> little buggers anyway.  I'll see how close they are when I build the
> remodulator.  Right now I've got some revenue generating work on the bench
> that I need to get out of the way before getting back into the fun stuff, but
> it shouldn't be too long.

At 60 KHz, one ppm is 0.06 Hz. You are ~ 18 ppm off at 1 Hz. That's probably
further than the VCXO in the Spectracom can track. The front end filter is
likely > 10 Hz wide.

Bob