Brent,

I seem to remember a story about the early days of micro-computing, when Russia
was cloning 8080 chips.  Their chips were of such poor quality that each chip
had a unique list of executions that could not be used.  Anyway, the Russians
had sized their chip in metric measurements (2.54mm) rather than inches
(0.10"), so that black market imports of the real thing would not fit.

Bob