Maybe I read the original posting wrong but I think this thread has departed greatly from the original posting.

What I thought the posting said:
1) The already present transformer can produce ~20 V DC unregulated at sufficient current.
2) The desire was to have a 12 V regulated at somewhat greater than 1 amp.

Though it wasn't raised in the first posting. A clean, non-switching supply was desirable for the poster.

Thus, it isn't a case of attaching one regulator in series with another

Regards
Brian