I got in those Adafruit GPS boards.  They are a very nice little GPS.   VERY
sensitive.  I could get good lock indoors on my (windowless) kitchen floor.
The house is 2 story,  stucco with wire mesh in the stucco.   I could also get
lock in a restaurant that had a tin roof.  We were far from any windows.
The 1PPS signal is normally low and pulses high for 100 milliseconds.  The
RS-232 adapter board that I built feeds this into an RS-232 transmitter chip
(MAX3232),  so on the interface connector CD will be at +V and pulse down to
-V.  Is this what stock NTP likes?
Also,  I laid out the adapter board so it an accommodate a Trimble Resolution T
or a Crius CN06 receiver.  The Crius receiver uses a U-Blox NEO-6M receiver.
They can be had for around $22 at HobbyKing.   They seem to perform even better
than the AdaFruit module.  It looks like you will need to bodge a wire onto the
TIMEPULSE pin to use it for 1PPS.