I used to work for a telephone company. Our big sites had power plants that put out -48V at a few thousand amps. If you dropped a wrench across the buss bars, the wrench disappeared in a puff of smoke and a helluva bang.

We were also warned about wearing rings or watches when working on the equipment. You could grab the buss bar with your bare hands and not feel a thing. 48V isn't high enough to be dangerous. But if your ring shorted between battery and ground, the ring would burn your finger off and cauterize the wound.

I decided that I would accept these stories on faith rather than test them for myself. :)

Ed