When I was messing with my SkyScan WWVB clocks to determine if something that WWVB's signal had done "broke" them, preventing them from setting properly and so-doing, I wanted to see what the receiver module was seeing.

(Spoiler: They didn't - they just break if the date is something later than approx. August, 2012 - I mentioned this some months ago on this list, providing a link to a blog entry where this was discussed in detail.)

What I did to see what the clock chip was seeing via a 'scope was to hang a JFET source follower on the "narrow" (downstream) side of the 60.003 kHz bandpass filter crystal coupled with a small value cap and a with a 10 meg resistor from the gate to ground: That didn't seem to adversely affect performance, and I could see the phase flopping back and forth. (The signal was pretty low - but usable.)

At that point the AM was still present, so the "key up" portions of the waveform were expectedly weaker - but it seemed to me at the time that I could have used it for something more complicated down the line.

What I was thinking at the time, were I to proceed farther, would have been to take that buffered signal off-board, amplify it a bunch and then run it through a limiter. In theory, this - along with the demodulated time code - would have provided both the amplitude and phase components.

Clint
KA7OEI