> My desired accuracy is based on what I have seen displayed on line frequency
> monitoring sites on the 'net.
> Numbers like 60.053 etc. That says (roughly) 1E-5 accuracy.

Ok, I'm with you. I understand your 1e-5 number now. Using that display format
will be fine.

Also realize there's more to frequency measurements than digits. The other
factor is the time constant, or the interval over which the frequency is
measured, or the refresh rate. For example, is the display an average over the
past second, 10 seconds, or minute or hour, etc.

> Now it may be that they show more precision than is warranted. Or they are
> averaging over a number of cycles.

No. Perhaps you're thinking that "averaging" is an automatic path to greater
precision. In this case it isn't. That's the amazing thing about this field of
time & frequency -- there are many examples where the longer you average the
*worse* the precision. And there are examples where more or less averaging
makes *no* difference in precision. It takes people by surprise. This is why
ADEV plots are so revealing: they clearly show over which time spans that
averaging helps vs. averaging makes no difference vs. averaging actually hurts.

Here's the MDEV of mains (100 days, US western grid):
http://leapsecond.com/pages/mains/mains-picpet-22.gif

For averaging from 1 second to 20,000 seconds your mains precision is either
worse or no better with more averaging. Only after 5 hours of averaging do you
start to get more precision. You reach the 1e-5 (10 ppm) level of stability
after about 2 or 3 days. You get 1 ppm accuracy after about 2 weeks.

/tvb