Well if we are talking about $50 then you have my attention.

No I am not afraid to use a soldering iron.  Amateur radio is not my main
interest here.  I have the same compulsion many of you out there seem to have,
that if I can get more accuracy I want it.  I get that content smile on my face
when my counter reads a string of zeroes on a measurement that is supposed to
do just that.

I am doing a lot better than 1 ppm right now.  I have my counter and signal
generator agreeing within about 1 Hz at over 500 GHz.  When I get one beat in
10 seconds against 20 MHz WWV I have 5 ppb I think.  I am close to that but it
gets sticky using 20 MHz to communicate, plus the signal is only available in
my location for a few hours on most days.

I am doing similar things with voltage but you can't communicate voltage over
the radio so I don't have that kind of agreement, more like 50 ppm.

It's all in fun; I have no legitimate need for this accuracy.

Bob

On Friday, February 21, 2014 10:26 AM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Bob Albert <bob91...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I looked on line and it seems that these receivers are available for about
> $150 and up.  A little out of my price range right now but I'll keep my eyes
> open.

Watch the thread on this list about the Arduino based GPSDO.  I think
you can get the price down to $50.  If all you need is something to
calibrate frequency counter then all you need is  9 to 10 digit
accuracy

I'm going to do this just to prove it can be done for a low two figure
price.  But first I have to find a decent crystal oscillator that does
not use up 1/2 of my $40 budget.

If you want ultimate precision that you need a good GPS antenna in a
good location,  A high-end timing mode GPS receiver and a high-end
double oven quartz oscillator.  The cost adds up.   But I think if you
relax the specifications and shoot only for 9 to 10 digits you can
greatly reduce the price.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California