On 4/15/14, 8:13 AM, ewkeh...@aol.com wrote:
Working off list on a super high performance GPSDO but low cost thanks to a
  time nut (sorry forgot his name) he directed me to DX.com which have ublox
with  antenna for lwss than $ 23. Super performance and though they are out
of the one  with 1 pps all you have to do is solder directly to the module.
Have both  versions. Attached you see what I did with the antenna but found
out the hard  way that when it rains the concave bottom fills with water,
still works but not  as good. So last night I made it flat with 3M Marine
5200 slow cure that I have  extensive experience with from boating. Will take a
full week to cure but if it  does not work I can always remove it and start
over

There is a similar approach using a small "display dome" which is basically a round bottom beaker kind of shape designed to go on a wooden base. It can just as easily go on a big cork or stopper, or a disk cut out of a HDPE cutting board.

Googling "display dome" will show you copious choices. or somewhere like "glassdomes.com"

Of course, if you have a supply of canning jars or babyfood jars, then you can use those. Nothing says the jar has to be mounted with the axis vertical. You could do it sideways (like a ship in a bottle) to help solve the "rain in the punt" problem.