As stated AM stations in US must maintain 20 Hz accuracy. Most are well within that tolerance. I have measured many AM station's frequency as a function of my employment before retirement.

Now comes HD radio. While the merits of HD AM radio are very much open to debate, one benefit is that the equipment for HD is GPS locked. If you can find an HD AM station you can probably bet they are very close to being on frequency. The ones I have measured have been right on and push the limits of my test equipment.

Al, retired, mostly
AKA k9si

Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 06:20:36 -0400
From: "Dale H. Cook" <starc...@plymouthcolony.net>
To: time-nuts@febo.com
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Interesting frequency standard project

At 06:27 PM 7/4/2014, Hal Murray wrote:

... we have no requirement for that level of stability on the MW broadcasts.

How stable are they?

That varies greatly from station to station depending upon what transmitter they are running. Note also that compliance with the 20 Hz accuracy requirement varies so you would only want to use stations owned by companies with a good record of compliance with Part 73.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html