Every cell phone I've ever had figures out the timezone by itself in the US and
in every country in Europe and Asia I've been to.

It used to be basically automatic (automagic?) with CDMA; the local tz offset
from UTC, plus the correction offset for GPS time (which the basestations had
directly) to UTC was included in messages on the sync channel.

3G and LTE use different mechanisms, as I described.

On 8/4/2014 2:21 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
I'm pretty sure you have to set the time zone that is displayed.  It
does not change based on location.  Although one col writ an app that
would do that.  There are MANY clock apps some show multiple time
zones.  Interannly the phone uses GMT (offset zero)

--
Bill Ezell