Time nuts:
Here is a prediction of how it could go on the WWVB chip situation.
Moors law will under price the custom chip price in small (and even large) volumes.

It already has.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

A WWVB receiver can now be done on an Arduino microprocessor with a little help from an antenna.

The custom chip price will loose this battle.

The custom chip takes longer to develop.

A simple download can upgrade a simple carrier tracking receiver to a full demodulating receiver.

The web site that supplies that free software upgrade can be anywhere on this planet.

For lawyers to do their job they need a target.

Do not give them a target to aim at.

Or give them so many targets that they still can not do their job.

The antenna-receiver-Arduino board can be made in China and purchased on ebay.

I feel sorry for the team with patent(s), they are competing against the whole world, and do not know it yet.

This is a prediction of how it could happen.

Any takers.

Ivan Cousins