I have used an FM tuner pretty successfully to look at modulation and phase
noise in oscillators. For a 10 MHz oscillator you will be looking at the 10th
harmonic so modulation and phase noise is multiplied and much easier to see.
You do need a square wave output to get a lot of harmonics. Sinewave outputs
will be pretty low at the 10th harmonic if the oscillator is working well. This
does work and I have tried it  both on 10 MHz and 5 MHz oscillators with some
success. It's not a replacement for a real phase noise analyzer but its way
cheaper and adequate to spot real problems.

The math to transform the output of a tuner into quantifiable phase noise was
more than I had patience for.

The low frequency limit is in the 5-10 Hz range. The AFC of a good tuner will
eliminate most everything below that frequency.

More details here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/1audio/983-fm-tuner-jitter-analysis.html