On 10/8/14, 12:52 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

br...@ko4bb.com said:
Kratos   (www.kratosepd.com) do fast switching synthesiser subsystems that
can be locked to a reference..

What does "fast switching" mean in the context of a DDS?

How long does it take to load the new phase increment in?

I suppose one can distinguish between "load" and "set/settle" time, and for a DDS the latter is "one clock". (although for DDSes that include post NCO filtering for spur reduction/movement, there might be a longer transient, depending on the kind of filter)

What does the spectrum of a DDS look like if I switch back and forth between
2 frequencies at 1 KHz?  Or what question should I be asking?

It would look like a phase continuous FSK signal. If you switch fast (e.g. at rates comparable to the shift), then the spectrum gets quite complex.)

(this was basically the basis of the Yamaha FM synthesis approach for music synthesizers.. it produces a very rich spectrum with lots of overtones and intermod products and can produce very natural sounding notes)