Burt,

Great insight thanks. You nailed it: out with the old oscillator and in with
one that doesn't have that problem.

Btw the mechanical tuning issue you mentioned is essentially the same exact
problem: even the slightest turn will make the frequency jump too high or too
low. It can drive you (and the loop) crazy trying to get it on-frequency.

Bye,
Said

Sent From iPhone

> [...]
> the same issue that I had a year or so ago when I had to make repairs to my
> two DATUM 9390-52054 GPS references.  At that time I copied this list on the
> various steps from discovery of the power supply noise grief to further
> discovery of problems with the original factory supplied internal Vectron
> VCXO oscillator module.
>
> After replacing the internal switching power supply with an outboard Cisco
> unit, I went on to look at what I felt was instability of the 10 MHz
> reference.  According to the front panel display, the error would wander
> anywhere from 0E-12 to 50 or 100E-12.  For my use, this wasn't a major
> problem, but one that bothered my instinctive curiosity and another step in
> my life in searching for a way to improve things.
>
> The original oscillator module in the 9390 was a Vectron 716Y2690.  This has
> a frequency trim adjustment on the side to bring the oscillator into tracking
> range for the DATUM 9390.  In one of my two units the adjustment would jump,
> which I attributed to a defective trimming capacitor.  My friend Stu, K6YAZ
> had previously given me two McCoy MC597X4 VCXO modules that do not have a
> frequency adjustment other than by way of the EFC control.  Looking at the
> specs on these modules it looked like they might almost be electrically a
> drop in replacement for the original Vectron modules, although the McCoy's
> were about one-quarter the size.  The McCoy's require 5 volts Vcc rather than
> 12 volts that the Vectron required.  Not a problem.  Testing confirmed that
> the EFC tuning voltage indeed went the same direction the McCoy requires.
>
> Since I don't have the sophisticated equipment that many of you have to
> comparatively confirm stability, I decided to modify only one of my 9390's
> and compare the results to the other one.  The two 9390's have separate
> antennas mounted about 3 feet apart and in a pretty clear view of the sky.
>
> I stuffed the McCoy module in place of the Vectron but instead of connecting
> the EFC lead, I used a 1k pot with the top connected to 5 volts through a
> small resistor, the bottom to ground, and the arm to the EFC pin on the
> McCoy. Using the other 9390 for comparison, I was able to determine that in
> order to have the McCoy output 10 MHz, the EFC voltage wanted to be slightly
> under +4 volts, essentially the same as the original Vectron.  Great, what
> could go wrong?  I shut everything down and connected the EFC control voltage
> to the EFC terminal on the McCoy.  As the McCoy came up to temperature I got
> a tracking light and the 10 MHz spigot came nicely onto 10 MHz, sat there and
> then wandered off frequency and after a while came back and overshot in the
> other direction.  I figured this would be a process that would go on for a
> day or two and the "pendulum" would eventually settle in.  After several days
> this did not happen and the 9390 gave me a tracking error.  Apparently, the
 nstants in the loop and the sensitivity of the EFC control in the McCoy did
not play well together.  Pondering the situation I decided to slow down the EFC
voltage change.  I did this by putting a 4.7 uf capacitor across the EFC pin to
the ground pin and fed the EFC voltage to the EFC pin through a 5100 Ohm
resistor, essentially, in my opinion, hanging a flywheel across the EFC line to
the McCoy.  Since with the smaller McCoy I had additional space within the 9390
I also made a sandwich type enclosure out of foam for the smaller McCoy to help
isolate it from tempreture changes.  I let the unit run for about 24 hours and
noted that it had settled in nicely and sat, according to its display, at 0E-12
for well over the next 24 hours.  Comparing this to my stock 9390, this
appeared to be correct except for some small amount of wandering - the stock
unit was showing variations of 1E-12 to about 10E-12, the amount of drift they
had both always shown.  I watched this for about two weeks an
 d while the modified 9390 sat at 0E-12, the stock unit continued to show the
same amount of drift it always had shown.