"If you refer to the picture of the microprocessor board, you will
notice that the locations marked D1, D2 and D3 are populated by zero
ohm resistors. That means that the 3 V microcontroller was powered
from 5V. I am actually amazed that they worked at all, let alone
worked for a while.

It is a shame that fluke.l saved on the cost of 3 diodes that way.
The 1N4148 is $.02 at Mouser in 25 pieces lots."

Didier KO4BB