Hi

> On Dec 14, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Magnus Danielson <mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org>
> wrote:
>
> Fellow time-nuts,
>
> I have seen the long debate about the fake 58503s. Maybe we should take a
> step back and think a little about that. Why does someone rebuild say Z3801s
> into 58503s?

or convert 3805’s the same way …

> Because somehow they are expected to have a higher value, and therefore there
> is a profit to be made in doing so.
>
> Why is there a higher value? Because the potential buys have made that
> decision, sub-consciously. There is a few differences, but to some degree
> they are superficial.
>
> If you want to reduce the likelihood of being fooled by fakes, then don't
> raise certain "magic number" boxes to the skies and prices with it.
>
> I could make better use of my Z3801A if I did a few mods myself, beyond the
> modification from RS422 to RS232. Honest mods and upgrades is one thing we
> might encourage rather than encourage the fakes.
>
> I too have considered the 58503, but consider the price disproportionate to
> what the Z3801A gives me.

Even the “real genuine original” Z38xx and 58xxx boxes differ mainly in the
power supply area. The firmware and performance differences are minor.

> So, let's stop this thread of hurt feelings, while it has been interesting
> and enlightening, we can't get very much more right now. Let's open our boxes
> and try to see the modifications we can do, collect them on a webpage for
> everyone to enjoy and use, and be done with it.

Or one could buy the KS boxes that are known *not* to be fakes / have the same
basic performance and move on in that direction with web pages etc….

Bob