Hi

(yes, this is a bit confusing … it’s my replies to a forward from Magnus who
got a bounce on submittal)

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: December 14, 2014 at 7:57:39 PM EST
> From: Magnus Danielson <mag...@rubidium.se>
> To: Bob Camp <kb...@n1k.org>
> Cc: mag...@rubidium.se
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Homebrew frequency counter, need help
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> Repost my email as I accidentally posted it with wrong from address.

>>> The Hadamard deviation is a great tool as it is not sensitive to linear
>>> frequency drift as Allan deviation is. This would help to remove the
>>> systematic effect, just as a quadratic curve-fitting of the raw-data and
>>> ADEV of the residual.
>>
>> I like the Hadamard because it’s a bit better for mapping to the frequency
>> domain. It’s what HP used to get phase noise from phase error data. I find
>> that it gives a bit better detail on some types of problems.
>
> I use if regularly, but TimeLab unfortunatly does not have the MHDEV.

The whole process of getting *correct* versions of things into a program is
(unfortunately) much harder than simply tossing it in there. I’m glad that the
stuff in TimeLab works correctly.

>>> Modified Hadamard deviation (MHDEV) is a good replacement for MDEV, with
>>> the same properties for drift. Similarly will Time Hadarmard Deviation
>>> (THDEV) replace TDEV. However, for longer taus you want better processing,
>>> so therefore you want to consider the TOTAL set of deviations, such that
>>> confidence intervals is better.

>>> FFT on phase-data is only available in TimeLab when doing phase-noise
>>> measurements. FFT is the way to analyse systematic noise rather than random
>>> noise where ADEV and friends is being used. You need to separate them, and
>>> the ADEV plot is not good for both.
>>>
>>> There is a set of FFT based ADEV-style measures, which uses FFT, filtering
>>> of the various ADEV styles. There is a nice set of articles covering that
>>> approach, and actually the only style of ADEV processing that I haven't yet
>>> implemented, even if I have done most others.
>>
>> Stable-32 will take phase data and convert it to the frequency domain.
>
> Depending on what processing you are going to do, phase or frequency may be
> optimum.
> Phase is better for normal deviations.
> Frequency is better for modified deviations.

Stable 32 is nice in that it will convert one to the other with the click of a
button.

>>> Bumps, spikes and slopes... ADEV isn't the only tool one should be using,
>>> FFT might be much better for systematic noises.
>>
>> Right, so when you see them, alarm bells should go off. Something is indeed
>> wrong and further investigation is required.
>
> Maybe, ADEV is good at smoothing out things, so spikes in spectrum-analysis
> might not be as easy to spot in the ADEV form.

A good reason to look at multiple data sets and analysis approaches

>>> In the end of the day, there is an overbeleife in ADEV both as a scale as
>>> well as a processing tool, to analyze deviations, without considering the
>>> separation of various systmeatic effect and systematic noises, while ADEV
>>> and friends is there to analyze random noise types, it does not handle
>>> systematics good. Seems like we have to kill ADEV as the universal measure.
>>> Ah well.
>>
>> It’s been around much longer than some of the others. It also has some nice
>> convergence properties. That’s made it the spec of choice when describing
>> the performance of a wide range of products. You could buy a box that had a
>> “measure ADEV” button on it a very long time ago …. like back when I started
>> doing this … Having a piece of gear to point at for a spec measurement is a
>> real good thing. It eliminates a wide range of discussions. That goes at
>> least double if it has the logo of a well known test gear outfit on it.
>
> That may be, but ADEV is often misused to be the only plot.

Ok, so what gear with a major label on it would you use in the 1980’s and
1990’s to measure spec performance on a few million OCXO’s …..

> I actually got an old Timing Solutions

At least up to the end of the 1990’s that name would get you a Timing Who?
response from > 90% of the customers of OCXO’s.

> test-set that does ADEV at 0.1, 1, 10 and 100 s using an offset rubidium at
> 5.000055 MHz. I've never been able to get the serial port to do anything
> useful. Love to pull the data out of that one and into TimeLab.

They are good boxes. They just are from a very specialized outfit. That also
makes getting them repaired a bit tough.

Bob