Hi

The amp you are using has about 18.5 db of gain. It’s a typical self biased
transistor style amp. From the part number, it’s got a ~ 1.5 dbm output limit
at 1 db compression. That gives you a max input level of  -17 dbm when the amp
is in compression. If you want reasonable noise performance, you would stay 10
db below those numbers. That would put you in the -29 dbm range. -20 dbm is 31
mv peak to peak. That’s way below the levels you have running around on your
scope displays.

Because these amps are fairly simple in construction, when you drive them with
large signals, you upset the bias. That changes the operation point. It can
easily lead to all sorts of odd distortion. Before it does that it often leads
to increased noise. Typically when you are after a quiet 7  to 10 dbm output
(as in low phase noise and low harmonics) you go for at least a 16 dbm (1 db
compression) amp and possibly one at 20 dbm. There are exceptions to this, but
most of the simple little amps work this way.

Bob