Hi

> On Jan 18, 2015, at 5:12 PM, Stéphane Rey <steph....@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Bonsoir Magnus (Are you in Sweeden ?)
>
> Being able to measure high stability and low phase noise is definitely a need
> for me as I'm trying to design low noise synthesizers and I'm already
> reaching the limits of my current tools for phase noise and I can't afford an
> E5052 for my own. At work I've one but I will probably not stay after august.
> And anyway I need such tools in my lab at home…

If you have tools at work, the best possible thing to do is to get some
oscillators / standards characterized. If you *know* what this or that
oscillator is doing in terms of ADEV or phase noise at this Tau or frequency
offset, it’s much easier to figure a lot of this out.

The most basic way to do phase noise in the basement is with a single mixer
setup running into some sort of audio FFT device. A sound card can be used or
an audio spectrum analyzer. Parts are < $100 to get one setup once you can do
the audio measurements.

For ADEV, a DMTD or it’s cousin, the single mixer is the easy way to go. The
single mixer does not get a lot of discussion these days. It is much easier to
set up than a DMTD. It does require an offset oscillator. Once you have a
single mixer phase noise setup, you are about half way to a single mixer ADEV
setup. Cost for one is < $100 in parts. You already have a counter to collect
the data out of it.

In both cases you are running a comparison device. Having a characterized OCXO
to compare to is a really nice thing.

Bob