Hi Ole Mmmm well I have 2 and a friend has one all had dead batteries, quickly removed, but we didnt have a manual then so we just ran them without them batts. Our power is quite reliable. My pair have been running continuously for around 7 years now with no signs of problem and no relay chatter. The crystals are well aged now :-))

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ole Petter Ronningen" <olep...@gmail.com>
To: <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:46 PM
Subject: [time-nuts] Austron 1250A

Hello

On a whim I purchased an Austron 1250A off of eBay, "tested for power on
only". I somehow doubt they told the whole truth there, as the unit makes a
*very* noticable buzzing sound when powered on!

The sound comes from a relay on the regulator board, oscillating wildly. I
have a hunch that this might be because the NiCad batteries are stone dead.
Has anyone experienced this relay going nuts?`

Also, the manual gives clear warning not to operate the unit with the
battery pack removed, but gives no reason.. Does anyone know why this might
be a bad thing?

Thank you!
OleP