Is there a handy "one pager" kind of explanation of noise spectra after some forms of signal processing..

For instance, if you have a oscillator which has a 1/f characteristic, and you mix it with itself, what is the spectra of the output of the mixer.

Or if you have a 1/f^3 characteristic (e.g. from a crystal oscillator, very close in) or a 1/f^2 (from a VCO).

Specifically, I've got some folks working with homodyne radars (where you demodulate the received signal with a sample of the transmitted signal, but sometimes with an offset mixed in, etc.) and I'm looking for a quick intro to this kind of thing at a sort of empirical/phenomenological as opposed to analytical..

"If you see X on a spectrum analyzer or FFT, it is because of Y"...

Similarly, they're building PLLs and know about the 20log10(N) thing, but what should the shape of things underneath be.