Hi guys,
 A year ago I posted a question concerning the 1PPS output from my PRS10.  I
had thought it an anomaly, but other users indicated that the signal profile
was common to other units. I have since added 2 PRS10s (actually TDS12s) to my
bench and they also show the same profile.  Jarl Risum was very helpful  in my
investigations, and proposed using inverters to get a better shaped signal. I
tried this out, but am not satisfied with the induced delay. In the end I
settled on an AND gate for the project.
In the forwarded mail below (hope the pic passes the censors) you can see the
object of my irritattion is that although I have a nicely conditioned output,
there is too much delay between the initital 1PPS input rise and the gate
response for even mildly afflicted timenut .
I couldn’t figure out what the source of this was until I reviewed it the other
day with an object of distributing 1PPS over the bench. From looking at  74HC
device data sheets I think the issue is that the start of the 1PPS pulse input,
(the bit I am interested in) does not reach the trigger level needed for CMOS
gates.

Does that seem a reasonable assumption?, and if so is there a solution?

 I am wondering whether I could use a comparator? The trigger level of a LT1719
is better than 6mv but I fear that I might get false triggering  as my scope
indicates that the 0V level has <=2mv noise. I don’t have one to test so I
would appreciate your input. I also can’t see how I might implement it if it is
worth testing.

Regards,Mike

> Début du message réexpédié :
>
> De: mike cook <cook.mich...@orange.fr>
> Objet: Rép : PRS10 question
> Date: 1 mars 2014 16:50:12 UTC+1
> À: Jarl Risum <jarl.ri...@gmail.com>
>
> Hi Jarl,
>   Sorry about the late update but I was waiting for parts.
>
> I tried using a 74HC04 (I didn't have an HC14 but I only think the they
> differ in performance) in your suggested config on a separately powered
> breadboard but that doesn't give me what I want .
> It just gives a slightly attenuated copy of the original, which is to say I
> still have the slow rise to vcc after the initial 10ns of good rise.  What I
> was looking for is something that triggers on the first 10ns and then forgets
> everything else after that, putting vcc on the output, until the input drops
> to 0, when the output should also go to zero. That is a simple AND operation.
> How about an AND gate?
> So I tried a 74HC7001. Now I get 10ns rise to 2V and 20ns to Vcc. There is a
> bit of overshoot but none of the ringing in the original plus a shorter
> settling time that I can probably smooth out  if I needed.  There is as you
> can see quite a bit of delay which I would need to characterize.  However it
> looks much more usable.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>

> Le 14 févr. 2014 à 16:08, Jarl Risum a écrit :
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. OK - the coax cable explains your result so far.
>> You may try an ordinary 10:1 probe directly on the BNC connector on the
>> breakout board, but be careful to check - and if necessary correct - the
>> probe response before use. The probe needs to have at least 100 MHz
>> bandwidth.
>>
>> Your idea to use a buffer attached directly to the BNC connector on the
>> breakout board is of course fine, but you should avoid loading pin 8 with
>> anything except what it is intended for: as a supply to a lab. quality 10
>> kohm 10 turn potentiometer as an external means to correct the C-field in
>> the Rb Physics Package. Pin 8 is a precision 5V reference also used by the
>> internal 10 turn C-field potentiometer and you are almost sure to disturb
>> the calibration if you load pin 8 with anything else.  Please take a look at
>> diagram RB_H1  (10MHz Ovenized Oscillator). The 5V reference circuit is at
>> the top of the page, U100 and U102B.
>>
>> If you do not wish to add a 7805 5V regulator IC to your circuit yourself
>> you might be able to get a few mA's from the 5V regulator on the breakout
>> board.
>>
>> As a final remark I would like to draw your attention to the possibilty of
>> using the 10 MHz output instead to feed a divider chain or a PIC divider
>> which could output the 1 PPS where you need it. This solution would be
>> somewhat more flexible with respect to interface problems since the 10 MHz
>> could be distributed in coax cable over 10's of meters without any problem.

> [...]

"Ceux qui sont prêts à abandonner une liberté essentielle pour obtenir une
petite et provisoire sécurité, ne méritent ni liberté ni sécurité."
Benjimin Franklin