On 03/26/2015 01:56 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
The key is that you don't need *real time* position.. a few seconds or minutes delay is probably ok, right?
Seconds are probably ok, minutes might be a little long. PCs are pretty fast though these days for signal processing I would think.

To compensate for the receiver variability, simultaneously transmit a signal with a different PN code, at the same frequency (roughly) as the rocket's transmitter.. The receiver will receive both, but the signal from your ground reference transmitter isn't moving, so you can use the "non-rocket" signal as a calibration reference.

Now I didn't think of that - so you're saying to send another signal from a central ground station to all the receivers and then have them use that as a relative reference? Since I'll know where each ground station is, I should be able to subtract off the TOF so each station has a common reference point. That's a pretty cool idea.

What's your budget?
I was thinking in the $1k range so that would be about $200 per ground station. A couple of controllers I was considering for the ground stations include the Netburner MOD54415 (same one I'm using for the flight computer) or the BeagleBone Black. Both of those are under $100 and have counter/timers onboard although I have to see what the max clock rate is. As long as the channel-to-channel delay wan't too bad, I think using a 12-bit ADC to digitize the two signals would work because you can interpolate to get a higher-resolution zero crossing.

-Bob