Dave,

The trick is to closely synchronize your 1PPS generator, whether you use the
1970's method of a string of seven '7490 decade divider chips (common reset) or
a 1900's method of a sync'able MCU divider such as a picDIV
(http://www.leapsecond.com/pic/picdiv.htm).

It's so simple it's irresistible. The PIC s/w is there for free. The PIC h/w is
less than 1$.

Happy dividing,
/tvb