Hi

Remember - a number of these boxes go *way* back in time GPS wise. Often the
basic guts were a mix and match affair and this or that sub-system
was frozen for a decade or more. At this late date, figuring out why they did
that, or why they had multiple sub-systems is going to be tough. I suspect
that it goes something like - this one works with 1500’ of RG-58, that one
works with 300’ of RG-58.

In answer to your basic question - I’d bet it has the IF to a GPS receiver and
the tuned front end is up at the antenna. I have never seen one of these
that was an either or as installed. If you wanted a downconverter, that’s what
they built into the box. If you wanted a full receiver, that went in instead.
They flipped a few dip switches on the main board to tell the firmware what it
had and moved on.

Bob