      From: Magnus Danielson <mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org>
 To: time-nuts@febo.com
Cc: mag...@rubidium.se
 Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:52 PM
 Subject: Re: [time-nuts] New 5370A

Hi Bob,

On 05/14/2015 05:11 AM, Bob Stewart wrote:
> I got a new 5370A, so of course I've been running a bunch of tests on it.  In
> the image linked below, the start channel is my PRS-45A, the stop channel is
> my GPSDOe ("e" is for engine) and the ARM channel is fed by the PPS from my
> SSR-6Tru.  As you can see in the notes, the test parameters are all the same,
> except for the clock source for the 5370A.  As you might guess, my question
> is about the blue line, which is where the 5370A uses its internal 10811 as
> its clock reference.  Is it normal for tests run like this to have the left
> side of the ADEV be such a "wiggle" on the internal reference?  I had noticed
> the same thing with the 5335A I've been using up till now and had just
> assumed there was a problem with its 10811.  The OCXO in my GSPDO is a
> surplus Trimble 34310-T.  It's been running for several weeks, but is still
> in retrace.
>
> http://evoria.net/AE6RV/5370A/Test1.png

The wiggle indicates that you have some form of disturbance on top of
your signal. It could be hum, it could be the 5 MHz PWM noise that the
5370A/B clock buffer board produces. Anyway, that wiggle is typical of a
noise-source and ADEV isn't always the best tool to find out what it is.
A FFT would potentially be better for analyzing that issue.

> And kudos to John for Timelab.  It doesn't play well with Wine in Linux, but
> that's not terribly surprising, all things considered.

Yes, it's a good tool and it's sad that it doesn't play well with Wine
in Linux. I think John pointed out that Wine did not treat a
line-drawing call correctly. Anyway, regardless of who is at fault, it's
sad they don't play well together.