Am 02.06.2015 um 21:27 schrieb Tom Van Baak:
Is this a sensible thing to consider doing?  Or would I be better sticking to
AC/HC/AHC/LVC logic?

Regards,
David Partridge
Yes, please consider it. I would be very interested in the results.

I have made a stamp sized board that has a Xilinx 2C64 Coolrunner II, a 1.8V regulator for the core voltage and the programming interface for the standard Xilinx USB-cable. (parallel cable may work
but my laptop has no parallel port anymore.) It runs on 3.3V. All I/O pads
are fanned out to a 100 mil grid, so you can mount it easily on square pad board or solder it to an unetched copper clad board. The layout is single sided plus unbroken GND on the bottom side.

pic = < https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4Bpcfouj8WH0shNGIyuVUtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink >

(top right)

The CPLD has 64 Flipflops and enough combinational logic to feed them all. It runs happily at > 200 MHZ. Two of these chips can make a 1pps from 200 MHz in, and another 1pps that can be stepped in 5ns increments from -100nsec to > +1 second. A 2c64 costs $2 or so at digikey.

BTW, the other stamps on the picture are:

top left: Crystec CVH950 100 MHz VCXO locked to 10 MHz. I was too slow with those 100 MHz Wenzels this week; these would have justified a better effort; also sth. better than an 4046 ;-)

bottom left: NIST doubler from 100 MHz to 200 MHz using 2*BF862, slight gain, Low-Q tuned circuit
              on the output side

bottom right: 200 MHz to 400 MHz Schottky doubler, SAW filter, ERA-4 to bring it to 12 dBm again

The boards are home-etched; because of my daytime job my pps generator makes only slow progress...

A 1:1 pdf of the layout is available; one can print it to foil if one has a good printer (OKI 852 works nicely) or a print shop that can do offset films will print it to document film for €5 to 10 per ISO A4 page+

If someone want to measure it, I can send him one of those Xilinx stamps; sooner or later I'll find
the time do it myself but even then the repeatability would be interesting.

Also, this morning I have published an update for my 220pV/sqrt Hz preamplifier; 10uF foil capacitors one actually can buy, circuit diagrams and Gerbers for the adventurous. Be warned, this version has never been fabricated, but the changes from its predecessor are relatively small. Most of the work was the step to Altium Designer 15, Direct-X support on my virtual Win7 machine and that my
libraries from Protel-99 times desparately need some work.

The update can be found at < http://www.hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de/downloads/downloads.html >.

regards, Gerhard