Hi

Unless your crystal has been cut for temperature sensing (AC or LC cut) you
will have some
issues sensing temperature over a very wide region.

Bob
> On Jul 4, 2015, at 12:45 AM, Brek Martin <bmar8...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>

> Hi Guys,
>
> I feel like I missed “The Big Thing” in time keeping land. I should have
> watched my Ublox LEA-5T.
> What is the difference if it is in the reporting mode for GPS or UTC time?
> If they skip a second UTC, surely the GPS time isn’t run incorrectly forever.
>
> I’m using the Ublox to synchronise a micro that is clocked with the 10Mz
> signal from and Rb module,
> and the micro controller keeps time from there. So I currently wouldn’t see a
> leap second unless I looked back at the GPS.
>
> Another idea I had since making a copper thermal mass for the Rb module…

If you go back about 6 years ago in the archives, we went through all of the
math on thermal mass as a regulator for this
sort of thing. A search for “swimming pool full of mercury” may turn it up.
Bottom line is that you need a *lot* of mass. A
fan / sensor / heatsink / controller combo is a much more effective solution.

> A microcontroller clocked with the Rb module should be able to tell the
> temperature by counting the frequency
> of any other crystal generated clock in the circuit.. not necessarily just
> for the Rb thermal mass, but outside environment.
> Although the temperature has some effect on the Rb module frequency, it is
> less then the effect on Xtal frequency.

Unless your crystal has been cut for temperature sensing (AC or LC cut) you
will have some
issues sensing temperature over a very wide region. Probably the best thing you
can easily get
would be:

1) An SC cut run on the wrong mode.
2) An AT cut for an OCXO and used to sense in the vicinity of room.

Bob