Magnus,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I haven't had a need (read: no customer
has paid me to do so...) to wallow through the GPS ICD, so that document
is foreign to me.

Your explanation clarifies the situation...  Now it makes sense.

Thanks!

-Chuck Harris

Magnus Danielson wrote:
Chuck,

Because all the leap-second info is kept in GPS-calender form, and essentially
indicating current leap-second difference and which GPS week (modulo 256).
Check out
the ICD for yourself, IS-GPS-200H:

8<---
20.3.3.5.2.4 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

Page 18 of subframe 4 includes: (1) the parameters needed to relate GPS time to
UTC,
and (2) notice to the user regarding the scheduled future or recent past
(relative to
NAV message upload) value of the delta time due to leap seconds (ΔtLSF),
together
with the week number (WNLSF) and the day number (DN) at the end of which the
leap
second becomes effective. "Day one" is the first day relative to the end/start
of
week and the WNLSF value consists of eight bits which shall be a modulo 256
binary
representation of the GPS week number (see paragraph 6.2.4) to which the DN is
referenced. The user must account for the truncated nature of this parameter as
well
as truncation of WN, WNt, and WNLSF due to rollover of full week number (see
paragraph 3.3.4(b)). The CS shall manage these parameters such that, when ΔtLS
and
ΔtLSF differ, the absolute value of the difference between the untruncated WN
and
WNLSF values shall not exceed 127.
Depending upon the relationship of the effectivity date to the user's current
GPS