Bruce wrote:

Such blanket statements aren't a particularly useful guide unless calibrated by measurements.
The input voltage noise @1Hz can't be used directly to estimate the PN noise at 1Hz offset.

My message referred readers to previous list messages for a more detailed explanation, and recommended a particular search term. If you had done that, you would have gone straight to a message in which I explained that one cannot directly correlate noise density measurements with PN because each amplifier implementation has its own specific mechanism of AM-PM conversion.

That said, when one limits the discussion to inductorless, monolithic amplifiers, I have not observed anywhere near the quantitative differences between amplifiers (with respect to AM-PM conversion) that it would take to equalize the PN contributions of two amplifiers whose baseband noise voltage densities differ by more than 40dB (as is the case when comparing the MAX477/AD8055 with available low-noise parts). So, yes, when a part has an input voltage noise density *that* much worse than other available parts, one can conclude without detailed measurements that it is not a promising candidate for use as a low-PN amplifier.

Best regards,

Charles