I want to thank everyone who provided helpful comments regarding the sick HP3561A, both on and off the list. Special thanks also to a list member who made PDFs of V1 and V2 of the service manual available. As it turns out, the only fault I have found so far was fixed before we received the schematics -- a very leaky filter capacitor in the off-line DC supply. I'm about halfway through a complete calibration and everything is well within spec so far.

About test equipment quality and reliability: Frankly, I think it is remarkable that a piece of test gear this complex has survived nearly 30 years needing nothing more than one filter capacitor to meet spec (yes, I replaced the pair). (I'm anticipating that nothing further will need adjustment during the remainder of the calibration, which I think is very likely.)

Thanks again,

Charles