I recently wrote a paper for school on precision time and from my research it seems that the US Naval Observatory is the main source of time for the United States. So I would assume that this is also true for the Master Control Station in Colorado and that they get their source time from the Observatory as well? I emailed the GPS.gov site and got an answer that they do indeed have clocks there but he was unsure of their source time because he was the webmaster for the site and so is not intricately tied in to the system.

What's throwing me off though is that my former boss wrote up something for work where he states that the satellites get their time from BIPM? He is older and wiser than I am but I think that at this point I have probably done more research on it all so that's why I am not accepting his word immediately but also not writing it off.

NIST is another option but it appears as if they are more about research correct?

Respectfully,

Sean Gallagher
Malware Analyst
571-340-3475