The problem would be modulating a 10GBASE-T signals into a single laser beam, and demodulating it using (I think) an APD.

except the one depending on light travel, that shouldn't be a problem if using White Rabbit, there could be some problem with the modulating and transmitter/receiver delay response times.

I mean that lasers offer 100ps rise time, and the APDs I found offer 5ps rise time, these must be multiplied by all the wires that GigE needs, which should be 4 pairs if I remember correctly, and some are bi-directional, plus the modulation process.

Ilia.