On 6/23/16 2:56 PM, jimlux wrote:
On 6/23/16 12:28 PM, Bob Stewart wrote:
One more related question before this topic dies, if you don't mind.
What about the other side of building: stuffing the boards.  My GPSDOs
have about 120 parts per board, plus some custom work on the SMA
connectors.  Is there a service out there that will populate boards
with SMT components for small orders at a reasonable price?  Small is
10 boards.

I've used Screaming Circuits in Oregon as an assembly house. They've
done ok for us, but I have no idea if they are inexpensive in your context.

The biggest boards I've done with them have been 4x6", but they have SMA
and MMCX connectors, maybe 100 components, mostly SMT, but a few DIP
carriers.

I went and looked up some typical quotes from Screaming Circuits.. we're typically doing a 4-20 boards, and to place <100 parts runs us about $20-50 per board (if I had to guess about their "setup vs each" pricing based on the different volumes I had quoted for the same board, I'd say setup is in the $250-300 range, and assy is in the $15-20/board range.

Not everything on these boards is machine placeable, and there's some hand assembly required (like soldering pins into a carrier, and then soldering the carrier onto the board). There's also some shielding cans that may or may not be machine placed and soldered.