      From: Bob Camp <kb...@n1k.org>
 To: Bob Stewart <b...@evoria.net>; Discussion of precise time and frequency
measurement <time-nuts@febo.com>
 Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:17 PM
 Subject: Re: [time-nuts] The home time-lab

Hi

Have you been through the full alignment process on one or both of the 5370’s ?
They are as much
an analog beast as they are digital. They *do* drift out of calibration /
alignment / adjustment. When
they go it’s usually not all of a sudden. They just gradually get worse and
worse as the adjustments bake
away inside that hot box.

35 ns pops are pretty big. Are you seeing spikes or are you seeing steps?
Spikes can be just about
anything, including the next door neighbor’s bug zapper. Steps are a bit more
indicative of something
actually wrong. In either case, a counter with far less resolution than a 5370
can be used to help “triangulate”
the problem. A free running OCXO (or three) is also perfect for this sort of
thing.

Bob