I'd get the $80 assembled unit from Navspark first and see if it works for you.
 If not, you won't have wasted your time and money on doing a PC board.

Lady Heather can now talk to Venus receivers in binary mode (also handles
generic NMEA receivers).   I don't have a Venus timing receiver so I have not
tested operation of the timing receiver related messages.   One VERY vexing
issue with Venus binary mode is there is NO binary message that provides "sky
view" info about satellite positions and signal levels.  You can only get that
in NMEA mode.