Mark wrote:
You might want to try some lithium AA cells.  They start out around 1.65V.  They are MUCH
less prone to leakage than any "alkaleak" battery and have a very long
shelf-life (i.e. good for low drain memory backups).

Not only that, they have considerably greater energy density and a much flatter discharge curve than alkalines, and are better at high discharge rates as well. I haven't used alkaline AA, AAA, or 9-volt batteries for more than 10 years now. One of the major mfrs at one time made lithium "C" cells. I still have a stash of them in cold storage, but I haven't seen them for sale for some time. I looked for lithium "D" cells, but never found any.

NB: We're (at least, I'm) talking about lithium *primary* batteries, not rechargeable lithium batteries. The usual chemistry is LiFeS2. For data, see:

<http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf>

Best regards,

Charles