Hi

It is sort of an " everybody does it " sort of thing. Various justifications:

        Less power is used / less heat in the drivers and terminations.

        Transformer coupling works better ( lower delay ) with narrow pulses

         Anything over 1 us has been "really long" in terms of logic speeds
since the 1960's

         A definite duty cycle "bias" let's you detect an inverted pulse.

The only real reason is "that's the way it's done". Big Customers ask for it
that way. Suppliers deliver what is asked for. Nobody complains, nothing
changes.

Bob