Hi,

On 10/06/2016 08:38 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

One very simple experiment:

Take a HP that has been off power for a year or so. Fire it up and watch it’s
predictions
of holdover accuracy. Many of them will go through a “zero” time estimate at
one or
two days. At three or four days they are struggling to hit spec (10us). The
reason is
pretty simple. The OCXO warmed up and went through an inflection (reversal in
direction).
They estimated across the inflection, got zero and passed that on ….

Indeed. The Z3801A does a least-square fit and then tries to maintain that. If done at the wrong time it will be wildly off. I don't remember the details, but I think I recall that you can trigger the re-calibration routine which is what you want to do to drive it in the right direction.

Least-square fitting isn't all that magic and doesn't really require lots of memory, if you do it properly. You just need the oscillator to heat up and settle before you attempt to do anything involving long time-constants. Usually it's not the core algorithms, but the heuristics that needs to work well.